Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Best Songs of the Decade: #50-- "Over & Over" by Hot Chip


I need to be very upfront about something; I don't dance. I can't dance, I don't like to dance, and I am always in semi-awe at those who can and do dance. However, that being said "Over & Over" makes me want to dance. A lot. The big single from their 2007 offering, The Warning, "Over & Over" was a perfect concoction of guitars and synthesizers. Drum machines and bells. The song shot these Londoners from semi-obscurity to near the top of the indie electronica heap, and for good reason. You cannot hear the song without at least vigorous toe tapping. More (and music!) after the jump. 


To see a live video or performance of these guys is almost like watching Kraftwerk concert footage. Five dudes standing behind these really small synths and drum machines (plus at least one guy playing a guitar). But  where Kraftwerk were interested in synth based music that was rather experimental Hot Chip is really out for something different, and ultimately, something more satisfying. They take the electronic experimentation of a Kraftwerk album and toss it together with the mindless dance music of a group like Does It Offend You, Yeah? The result is an extremely satisfying dance track. And one that I will admit, I have tried to dance to. It's tough to get me to try that.



Over And Over - Hot Chip

No comments: